21 July 2006

I got an Owwwwie!

Well, Dad's been gone just a little over 24 hours and I've had my first visit to the Vet! Yesterday I was licking at my paw, but stopped when muzzer said "cut it out!!" Even on the way to drop Dad off at the shuttle, I was still at it.

When we got home, I let muzzer look at my paw, but she didn't see anything. She wiped it off with some kind of towel thing, and we had a pretty good day. Except....she noticed that I didn't want to go far on our walks. Now, that is not like me. I am a gung ho fellow, ready to roll and all that. I was pretty efficient about my business on our walks last night, and again this morning, and I could tell she was pretty worried. Not worried enough to skip her Yoga class this morning, but I guess she needed the exercise, since I haven't been keeping her going like I usually do.

That strange and unusual behavior continued through early afternoon. I was stretched out on the floor having a surreptitious lick or two when muzzer screeched "Ohmigosh Gussie, your paw is swollen!"

Stupid woman. Why does she think I've been licking it?

So we talked about my foot for a little while, and I was not having any of that "looking" that she does, which also includes poking and sniffing! So then she started talking about seeing a Vet. I figured I was pretty safe, since we are in a strange town and she doesn't know any folks with dogs here to ask about a vet.

Never underestimate the true tenacity of a little Italian woman! She used the internet, went online and GOOGLED! a bunch of vets in Santa Fe. Then she called two or three of them and all of a sudden, we are in the car and headed for the vet.

I must tell you, I figured I was pretty safe. This is the woman who can't find her way out of a paper bag with both ends open! But no-oo. She takes us right to the place.

Nice folks, but they have a nasty way of using thermometers. Anyway, I have some kind of abrasion between my toes on my right front paw, and I had to let them clean it, put salve on it, and put a bandage on it! Here is the result.

We got some pills, but that is OK, cause the Doc said I could have them in peanut butter or cheese. Yummy! Anyway, I am not supposed to lick it or chew it, not for two or three days, and then I have to go back and see the Doc again! So, muzzer went into the travel bag and got out her little water pistol. I know what that means. If she sees me chewing at that pink thing, she will shoot me with water! I don't like that. I ask you, is that any way to treat a wounded terrier?

Well, I can wait until she falls asleep tonight, and see what I can do about removing this. Gotta make sure she doesn't have that thing on the pillow beside her though! Never trust a well intentioned muzzer.

Here's hoping my pal Axel is feeling better! He has been having itchies too. More later.

Gussie

4 comments:

Daniella said...

Geez Gussie - did they have to give you a PINK bandage! What an insult to your manhood. Let' hope your Muzzer doesn't put on that silly bandana while you have that on.
I hope you feel better soon bud. I'm doing a little better - but I look a site - you can see me at www.daniellaswriting.com/itchy_ax.jpg
I'm just glad noone put booties on me. What is up with you being afraid of a water pistol? I love getting squirted, it's one of my fave games!
Mom forced me to tell your mom, that a way to stop you from chewing your bandage is to put bitter apple on it....someone suggested that to my mom at the dogpark....
Axel xoxo
PS I see we are both listed on dogs with blogs now! The only two WFTs!

Gus said...

First: muzzer has promised no bandana, because it clashes with the bandage. Second: I couldn't protect myself from the pink! They had two vet techs and the Doc holding me still while some guy put the pink stuff on my foot. I put up a good fight though!

I like hose squirts. I like the squirts from the sprinkler system in the back yard in AZ. I love to walk in the rain. But, I don't like squirts from the water pistol, because they are always accompanied by a "NO" or a "Bad Dog"

Thanks for the bitter apple trick. Personally, I kind of like the stuff. But then, I like salsa too!

Feel better soon
Gussie

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

Hey Gus,

Thanks for dropping by www.dogswithblogs.com.au - it is great to have you on the list. We have a great community of dogbloggers over there now, and we have all made lots of friends - I am very pleased to meet you as well :-)
Hope your paw is feeling better soon :-(

Love
Opy

Gus said...

Opy: Thank you for the welcome to dogblog. My paw is feeling a bit better now, and I have NOT been chewing on the bandage.

Muzzer and I hope your recovery from the cancer thingy on your leg goes as well as hers had. She says to tell you she is at 6.5 years and still counting!