26 December 2007

"on the feast of Stephen"

Good King Wally, he looked out,
On the Feast of Stephen,
When the snow lay round about,
Deep and crisp and even;

Brightly shone the moon that night,
Tho' the frost was cruel,
When a poor man came in sight,
Gath'ring winter fuel.

"Hither, Ethel, stand by me,
If thou know'st it, telling,
Yonder human, who is he?
Where and what his dwelling?"

"Sire, he lives a good league hence,
Underneath the mountain;
Right against the forest fence,
By Saint Agnes' fountain."

"Bring me flesh, and bring me wine,
Bring me pine logs hither:
Thou and I will see him dine,
When we bear them thither.

"Walls and Ethel forth they went,
Forth they went together;
Thro' the rude wind's wild lament
And the bitter weather.

"Sire, the night is darker now,
And the wind blows stronger;
Fails my heart, I know not how,
I can go no longer."

"Mark my footsteps, good my page;
Tread thou in them boldly:
Thou shalt find the winter's rage
Freeze thy blood less coldly."

In her master's steps she trod,
Where the snow lay dinted
Heat was in the very sod
Which the saint had printed.

Therefore, all ye dogs, be sure,
Wealth or rank possessing,
Ye who now will bless the poor,
Shall yourselves find blessing.

6 comments:

wally said...

Gus--this is the best song YET. Because I am a King in it! And I especially liked the last bit because I used to be a homeless waif and now I live high on the hog (not that my ma ape is a pig.)

wally

Buster the Wired Fox Terror said...

I thought Wally was the Queen of England....

Bussie Kissies
Buster

Asta said...

Gussie
I aways pictoowed Wally as a king..and that's a vewy good lesson fow us all giving is the best!!!
smoochie kisses
Astpee ess...I might need youw Gwampa to twain me..I kept spinning awound evewy time I jabbed..I don't think that's wight
smoochie kisses
Asta

Molly the Airedale said...

Another winner, Gussie! You do this so well!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Liza said...

I agree with Wally - this is the bestest!!


Mom says she feels bad about taking a few days off of posting - hopefully we will be back tomorrow!!

Love Dory

Stanley said...

Gus Boy!

Love the song! I too have always thought of Wally as royalty... sometimes as aking, sometimes as a princess, and sometimes as a queen (of drama)!

Goober love,
Stanley