While the humans never got his name, he did smell wonderful and familiar, and he told me how handsome I was and made lots of friendly noises. He also gave good scritches.
We got to talking about training. And we promised to put our trainer Valerie's contact information here for him.
Muzzer and dad say we are a lot better since she began working with us (and them) and we do appreciate her efforts on our behalf.
Here is what she has accomplished in just about 90 days:
- The magic work is AAAAACKKKK
- Teka and I SIT
- Teka and I STAY
- Teka and I respond to "let's go" with a good strong heel.
- Teka and I SIT when our leashes come out.
- Teka and I will walk by dogs fenced in yards and behind doors and mostly ignore them. Muzzer and dad have learned to "talk" us through the challenge of not responding and it is effective about 85% of the time.
- The other 15%, the humans will put us in a strong heel by turning 180 degrees and walking away from the challenge, then they put us back through it until we hold our heel. And no, no other dog has jumped the fence to get at us while we do this, though there is a Pomeranian a block away who is considering that as an option.
- Teka and I each have a PLACE where we go when directed to do that, like when people come to the door.
- Teka and I have learned to love Turkey hot dog bits. This was not hard.
On the other hand, we still do not respond well to other dogs, particularly those who are off lead and come running toward us. But we will be working on it in the future.
So, if you click here, or on the "here" up above, you can go read about her and find a few of her secrets. And a big Thank you from the humans for a successful training program.
gussie n teka