14 June 2007

Puppy Pix and .......

A lot of my bloggie friends are posting puppy pictures of themselves on their blogs, and I think that is wonderful. I enjoy seeing their pictures and hearing about their early days.

Asta NY mentioned that rescue dogs may not have puppy pictures, because they came to their families when they were a little older than puppies, but that we should not feel bad, because our new families love us lots and we are all fortunate to be together.

For one so young, that was very perceptive and caring. So I want to say "thank you" for her thoughtfulness, and let her know I appreciate it.

So, even though I don't have "puppy" pictures, I thought I would share pictures of my first few days with my furever family, and tell you a bit about how I came to join them.

My muzzer was lonely in Virginia. Her dog Nigel had gone to wait at the bridge right before she and dad left on their sabbatical adventure. She kind of thought that she would be busy, and not get another doggy until she went back to Azrizona. But things change, and a small VA town is different than New Orleans, so even though she was doing volunteer work for Habitat and keeping sort of busy, she still had some time to spare.

Somehow, she convinced Dad that it was the right time to get their new Doggy. And she started looking on PetFinder, and watching a couple of rescue groups for their available dogs. She said she REALLY thought she wanted a Bernese Mountain Dog, because there was a beautiful one living just a couple of blocks from them, but Dad, wise in all things, convinced her that she really did not want a dog that weighed more than she did. Plus, they were living in a small apartment with a steep staircase, and their wouldn't have been much room for the two of them if they were lucky enough to get selected to adopt a Bernese.

So, she narrowed it down to Wire Fox Terriers and Welsh Terriers and she and Dad filled out the applications for each rescue group. Muzzer was worried about the apartment thing, but Dad kept telling her it would all work out. The WFT people did a phone interview, and called the vet that we use in Azrizona, and even called the friends listed as references. By then it was almost Thanksgiving, and Muzzer was going on a trip back to Azrizona to see her doctors and check in at the store, so she kind of figured she was not getting a dog for Christmas. So she was sad.

The WFT rescue group in Maryland called the day she was leaving and told her about ME. Muzzer said I sounded perfect (and she was right!) but that she was going to be gone for more than a week. But my foster mom said she would keep me until muzzer came back to Virginia and then they could pick me up!

The Friday after muzzer came back to VA, she and Dad got in the car and drove and drove, all the way to the northern part of Maryland.

On the way, they stopped for lunch, and muzzer had a hamburger.

Well, when this small person came in to my foster home with hamburger on her hands and breath, I knew I had found a kindred spirit. So I was very friendly with her, and kissed her chubby little cheeks and licked her hands. Being human, she thought I liked HER. And I did. But I REALLY liked that Hamburger flavor!

This is a picture of me in the front seat of the GussieMobile on the way to Virginia. I was a good boy most of the way, but I did come up front for a little bit so I could give muzzer some more kisses.















Here is photo of me on Dad's lap in our little apartment. We had some really good times there, expecially when my sister E.Rabbit came to visit for Christmas.








And here I am with Dad and E.Rabbit in the kitchen/dining room/living room of the apartment. I was pretty fascinated with that thing Dad was banging on....lots of noises coming out of it, more noises coming out of Dad, and e.Rabbit was trying not to laugh at the two of us. She is polite that way.

Note the waistline! Even my striped sweater doesn't make me look chubby.

Boy...I have really rambled on and on, haven't I. But I want you all to know how really happy I am to have my new family, even Teka.

E.Beth is sending us Teka puppy pictures, so in a couple of days, she will do her story.

Thank you for listening.

Oh, and I lost two pounds since I saw the Dr.!

16 comments:

Joe Stains said...

wow congrats on the weight loss! we loved the story about you coming to live with your muzzer and dad! tanner cant wait for the teka pictures!

Asta said...

Gussie
See I told you, you don't have to be a little puppy to find the pawfect furrever home, and you suwe did..You were the bestest doggie your Muzzer and Father could ever have found!!!!I loved your stowy!did I mention how cute you look in those pictures!!!!!
Congratulations on the weight loss, maybe you could coach my Mommi so she could squeeze into a bathing suit before the summers done. I'd like to hear your Daddy play that thing..do you sing along?
sweete dweams, gotta go to sneep
smoochie kisses
Asta

Molly the Airedale said...

Great rescue story Gussie and now we can see where you get your musical roots!
Congratulations on the weight loss! You'll be slim and trim in no time at all and no, I didn't think you looked fat in the first place!

Love ya lots,
Maggie

fee said...

you just made me cry gus! *sobs* i'm so happy you found your forever home with your dad and mom and miss e wabbit – it's a perfect match!

sniffs,
fee
ps: who's e beth?

Snowball said...

Hi Gussie, You are a lucky boy to be able to find a loving family to stay with. Perhaps I should blog about me puppyhood too.

Luv,
Snowball

Buster the Wired Fox Terror said...

Heya Gussie! That trip sounds like just what you need - no Teka!

I have lost almost 2 pounds since Janie came to live with us. It is torture, I have to eat her special food with no fat in it and my human food consumption is like cut by 85% and no chew bones!!!!!! Geez, 17 pounds!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have puppy pix either.

Bussie Kissies
Buster

Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

Hey Gus, what a heartwarming tale! I don't have puppy photos either, but I know that I would have been super handsome!
Congrats on the weight loss!
J x

Asta said...

Gussie,
do you weally think I'mas cute as that nursie? I just hate the competition for all you terrierific guys,(xcept for Asta down under , who is my long lost twin)
I hope you didn't work too hard today..my Daddy took the package to the post office(you know the stuff he found and Mommi wapped up)sowwy there's no pwesent for you in it,but I'll make up for it later, meantime,lots of smoochie kisses
Asta

Gus said...

Miss Fee: e.beth is my other human sister. She is also Teka's mommy, but she is in colledge and she lives in an apartment closer to her campus, and she isn't supposed to have a doggy, so Teka lives with us.

Bogart H. Devil said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww..... so sweet!

Love,
Bogart

ToFFee said...

Such a great pawrents you have there!

We are all lucky to have such fantastic Mommy and Daddy!

Some are not-so-lucky like those doggies in K9 friends and i that dreadful marketplace.

Happy F-day to your dad! Hope he does that singing again and video it with you!


Wuffs!
Toffee

wally said...

Gus--What a great story! I was not a puppy when I found my new peeps, either. I was aged like a fine wine! But knowing that someone out there wanted me even though I wasn't a little puppy, even though I came with "baggage" and even though I peed in the Petco on the way home makes me feel even more loved!

And way to go with the weight loss! Don't get too skinny!

wally.

Quinvale AstaLaVista Baby said...

G'day Gussie,

That was a sweet stowy. I'm glad you have such a good home. I don't think there are any rescue wires in Oz 'cause my mom was on a waiting list with 2 breeders after 9 months to get me. Dad says when you wait that long for a baby it's usually less furry.

Congratulations,
xxx Asta down under

Liza said...

Gussie -

We loved your story - especially since I'm a rescue dog too.

Have a great week.

Love ya - Dory

Gus said...

Hey Jake-onymous.

Bussie lives in Jupiter, FLa., his mom is active in wft rescue, and right now they have Janie, a real cutie, staying with them as a foster pup.

Bussie's Blog is at http://foxterrorist.blogspot.com/ and you can link from there to Janie's blog too.

Wowie...Just Harry was in Katrina, and so were my muzzer and Dad. They were in New Orleans, but that was before they got me.

Tell your mom that you don't have to blog every day to belong to DWB. Just get a blog and start small. We are a very fun group, you know, and well worth the membership cost...which is zero.

Lenny said...

Hi Gus! What a nice story and pictures. Don't feel bad - a lot of us don't have puppy pictures - we're still special! My humans got me when I was 5 already. I like your sweater.

Your friend, Lenny