13 September 2007

And the moral of this story is.......


I was reading the paper this morning while muzzer was fixing my soft boiled eggy and I came across the story below:
AP Sept. 12) - A surfer rode a wave on his stomach to rescue a struggling dog that had been swept off a pier and into Lake Michigan by a wave.

Surfer Matt Smolenski, right, and Joe Riopelle help save a dog who was swept off a pier into Lake Michigan in Grand Haven, Mich., on Tuesday.
"He (Smolenski) put the dog up on his surfboard, and the dog rode the surfboard in to shore," said one bystander who witnessed the rescue.
Matt Smolenski, 25, said he grabbed the pooch's collar just as the exhausted, black-and-brown mixed breed stopped dog-paddling on Tuesday. "He put the dog up on his surfboard, and the dog rode the surfboard in to shore," said Royce Rodgers, an off-duty Muskegon Heights police officer who witnessed the rescue. As the dog crouched on the board, Smolenski held on from the water, fighting large waves and a strong current all the way to shore.
"I've watched the dog about a million times," said Smolenski, of Grand Haven. "He barks at the waves and then jumps back when they wash up on the pier." Rodgers, who had started walking his own dog on the pier but turned back around after seeing the size of the waves, said the other dog wasn't on a leash when the wave swept it over the side. The same wave knocked the animal's owner off his feet, Rodgers said. "The dog was trying to swim, but the waves were very large. It was struggling," Rodgers said. "The owner was screaming for the dog." Rodgers said the owner thanked Smolenski and gave him a high five. He then "left so fast, I couldn't get his name," he said.
from the AP version
Moral.......Never let your owner off lead in dangerous places!

6 comments:

Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

I go to the beach often but I never go anywhere NEAR the water. Don't like getting my feet wet, and as for J1, well, she's just a wimp. J x

PS Yes, it's fine to add Forever Foxed to the DWB thing. When are you going to re-instate your chatbox?

Jake of Florida said...

And when you do, would you tell me how to do it? We signed up for a chatbox but Mom never added it to the site.

Jake

wally said...

My granny sent me this story. I think to warn me that some day I might have to rescue my ma ape.

wally.

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Wasn't that amazing?? And it was a lake...not an ocean!! That poor dog...hoomans can be good for something besides feeding and grooming. Wonder if mumsie would jump into a cold lake and rescue a strange dog....yes...she'd probably drown, but she'd try!!! Scary and thankful barks...Scruffy

William Tell said...

We are SOOOO glad the pup was saved. What a nice human!

William Tell

Stanley said...

Gussie!

That's a cool story about the kind surfer dudes and a good warning about letting the hoomans run off-leash... Never a good idea.

Goober love,
Stanley