03 September 2006

Hey Ivy! I haf captured a sqwerrel!

Look Ivy! I got a squirrel this morning. It was quite an adventure. Muzzer was unpacking boxes from our apartment in Virginia, and she took a whole bunch of stuff out of one box into the kitchen to put away in the cabinets there.

I stealthily crept (creeped?) into the extra bedroom to investigate the box, which still smelled like home in Virginia. In there, buried deep beneath layers of newspaper from DeeSee and Roanoke, I found this critter.

I knew immediately that it was a varmint, because it was tied to a stiff board with three pieces of string. Regardless, I was determined to liberate it and take it somewhere safe to examine it more carefully. It took merely seconds, because when muzzer came back toward the box room, I was headed out to the office with the newly freed squirrel in my mouth!

TahDa. The first photo is of my and my captive under the computer desk. Aah. Victory.


Then you see muzzer's hand holding MY squirrel, to show you his new Mohawk hairdo I gave him. I think it is a distinct improvement, don't you?

I am having much fun with my squirrel. He still squeaks, and I have had him for almost an hour. Such strength in so small a varmint is truly to be admired. We have played in the family room with Dad as he watches television. Dad's favorite new game is called "Rocky, the flying squirrel." Sqrrl and I don't like that one, since it requires me to let Dad take Sqrrl out of my mouth and throw him.

So Sqrrl and I moved into the office again with muzzer. She is a much quieter person to be with than Dad. Sqrrl and I are taking a nap together, but I am not letting him get too far away! I think this squirrel could get into a lot of trouble on his own. I think that is why muzzer had him locked up in the box from Virginia. I am accepting responsibility for this squirrel and his antics, and I will work with him until he stops squeaking and has no hair left on his squirrelly head. I think he will look much better then, and be less threatening to Teka when she comes to visit.




Until then, I will just stay close to him and try to figure out the mysteries of the squirrel. Such as: Who tied him to that board? What did he eat in that box while we were in New Mexico and he was living in the box room? Did he leave friends in Virginia like I did? Does he miss them too? Maybe having a squirrel from Virginia for a friend will not be so bad. He does sort of drawl when he talks, and it sounds kind of cute.

Well, Sqrrl and I are off on our adventures. Tomorrow my friend Travis is coming for dinner, and if he is very good I will let him play with Sqrrl too. More about that later.

slurpy kisses with squirrel fur from
your pal, Gussie


3 comments:

JordanBaker said...

You should come and visit where I'm housesitting, Gus. There are squirrels everywhere who need a stern terrier paw to keep them in line.

There are also two cats, though. You might not like that as much.

E. Rabbit said...

You should come and visit where I'm housesitting, Gus. There are plenty of squirrels here who need a stern terrier paw to keep them in line.

There are also two cats, though, so you might not like that part of it.

Ivy said...

hey hey gussie! i am so glad you found that skwerrl hiding out in that box! it sounds like he wuz desperately in need of somedog to chew his hair off and make him stop skweeking!

my grandmama sent me a pack of three skweeky skwerrels that live in a stump. i tell ya the stump is as much fun to play with as the skwerrels! i makes a satisfying thunk wen i throw it against the wall and it makes the peepol come out and say wut wuz that?. tee hee!