26 April 2007

In Honor of Bobbie "Boris"Pickett

I read on Yahoo that Bobby Pickett died today, and so I wrote my dad, who e-mailed back to tell me that it is also Duane Eddy's 69th birthday. I offer this humble effort to Mr. Pickett. I'm workin on the Duane Eddy thing!



I was sleeping on the couch late one night
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For Teka from the couch began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise


She did the dash She did the terrier dash
The terrier dash It was a backyard smash
She did the dash It caught on in a flash
She did the dash She did the terrier dash


From my kitchen near the big garage
To the master bedroom where the humans sleep
The terriers all came from their doggy blogs
To get a their turn with Miss Snickers to jog


They did the dash They did the terrier dash
The terrier dash It was a back yard smash
They did the dash It caught on in a flash
They did the dash They did the terrier dash

The doggies all were having fun
The party it had just begun
The guests included Fu Fu
And Buster and Janie had come

The scene was rockin', all were digging the sounds
Tanner on chains, backed by his Whattsssup Hounds
The back door -bangers were about to arrive
With their vocal group, "The Fast Frisbee Five"

They played the dash They played the terrier dash
The terrier dash It was a back yard smash
They played the dash It caught on in a flash
They played the dash They played the terrier dash

Out from his crate Axel’s voice did ring
Seems he was troubled by just one thing
He opened the gate and shook his fist
And said, "Whatever happened to my Pennsylvania twist?"

It's now the dash It's now the terrier dash
The terrier dash And it's a back yard smash
It's now the dash It's caught on in a flash
It's now the dash It's now the terrier dash

Now everything's cool, Axel’s part of the band
And my terrier dash is the hit of the land
For you, the humans, this dash was meant too
When you get to my door, tell them Gussie sent you

Then you can dash Then you can terrier dash
The terrier dash And do my back yard smash
Then you can dash You'll catch on in a flash
Then you can dash Then you can terrier dash

6 comments:

Joe Stains said...

Oh man do I love this song! I wish you could record it so we could play it while we run around! how cool would that be!!!

Gus said...

Hey Joey! Get Tanner workin' on the Whattsssupp band and we'll try for a contract!

Molly the Airedale said...

What a talent you are Gussie!

Love ya lots,
Maggie

Asta said...

As always I'm in awe, what a brilliant composer you are, Mr. Pickett would love it too! I found the pawty, and was there for a while, but now my muzzer is forcing me to go to bed...I'll try to sneak back later...have fun, love youXOXOXOXOXOOX Asta

Anonymous said...

Hi Gus,

While taking a few minutes this morning to read some of the blogs relating to Bobby, I came across your lyrics and was literally moved to tears while reading them. I have no doubt that Bobby would have been very moved and pleased as well. He was (and in all our hearts still is) a wonderful person who I am proud to have known and whom my children lovingly refer to as Grandpa Monster. My sister Nancy is Bobby's daughter and we have been blessed by spending the holiday's with Bobby and the family for many years. He was an incredible calming influence and I will always remember his cheerful smiling and upbeat persona no matter how much chaos was going on around him. Above all, he will be remembered as a true gentleman with solid integrity and values. I believe when he stood before St. Peter, he simply said, "Boris sent me".

Thank you again for your wonderful lyrics.

Gus said...

Mark:
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding Gus' tribute. His (somewhat) older parents grew up in the era when "Monster Mash" was first popular, and Gus has a "reputation" for adapting his favorite oldies.



Please accept our sympathy on your loss, and thanks for sharing some of your memories with us.



Gussie and Barb