26 December 2008

boxing day! St. Stephen's Day! whoopee

First of all, apologies to my Poopsie, because muzzer did not remember to set a time to pull a boxing day cracker! Can we pull on New Year's?

And, today is the feast of St. Stephen, immortalized in the carol called "Good King Wenceslaus"

Here is our favorite version, revised for the new characters

Good King Wally, he looked out,
On the Feast of Stephen,
When the snow lay round about,
Deep and crisp and even;
Brightly shone the moon that night,
Tho' the frost was cruel,
When a poor dog came in sight,
Gath'ring winter fuel.
"Hither, Ethel, stand by me,
If thou know'st it, telling,
Yonder canine, who is he?
Where and what his dwelling?"
"Sire, he lives a good league hence,
And his name is Oscar;
Right against the forest fence,
By Saint Agnes' fountain."
"Bring me flesh, and bring me bones,
Bring me pine logs hither:
Thou and I will see him dine,
When we bear them thither.
"Walls and Ethel forth they went,
Forth they went together;
Thro' the rude wind's wild lament
And the bitter weather.
"Wally it is getting dark,
And the wind blows stronger;
Fails my heart, I fear to bark,
I can go no longer."
"Mark my footsteps, good my page;
Tread thou in them boldly:
Thou shalt find the winter's rage
Freeze thy blood less coldly."
In her master's steps she trod,
Where the snow lay dinted
Heat was in the very sod
Which the saint had printed.
Therefore, all ye dogs, be sure,
Wealth or rank possessing,
Ye who now will bless the poor,
Shall yourselves find blessing.

This is also in honor of Wally's ma Ape, who does so much with the SPCA. Thank you very much.

gussie

10 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Stephen is my unkhle AND my grandfather's name!

I knew it was his day - he got stoned....evfurrybody must?

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

STAG said...

Lovely. Can I post it on MY blog? With creditation of course....

Bill

Princess Patches said...

Yet another great song! Woohoo for Wally, Ethel and Oscar's Ma ape!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches

Patience-please said...

That was one perfect song, Gussie! You outdid yourself!!!

wags from the whippets

Joe Stains said...

Wally's Ma Ape ROCKS

Buster the Wired Fox Terror said...

It wouldn't be the howlidays without Muzzers magnificent talent!

Love ya guys!

Bussie Kissies
Buster

Asta said...

Blessings to all who help othews..huwwah fow Wally's Ma Ape
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Stanley said...

Gussie!

You have immortalized our Woober Wally and his compassionate ma ape so well! I'm going to miss your songs.

Give some love to E. Rabbit for me, if she's still there. Smooches to Muzzer & Teka.

Goober love,
Stanley

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Wally's Ma is the best! And so are you for writing this amazing poem!

I am sorry I have not commented much just lately, it seems there are sooooooooo many blogs nowadays, it takes some time to get around them all!

My Editor is also a very slow personage.

Plus we like Light One Candle vid very much.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

love and many poetic licks,
Marvin xxxxxxxxx And yes, don't let the light go out, ever!

Poopsie aka Blue said...

No probs re the cracker pull.
We will do a SUPER big one this year ie 2009!

Love, pats & pets
Blue