26 March 2007

Sartorial Elegance

Hello

It is Monday, and Monday is one of the days that I, Gus Dagger w.f.t. go to the store to help my muzzer.

Muzzer and I have had many discussions about appropriate behavior in the store. I must not jump. I must not give kisses without permission. I must not beg (yeah, right.) I must greet every customer whenever possible. No peeing in the store, no pooping in the store.

We have also discussed appropriate attire. I, Gussie have felt for some time that my wardrobe of neckerchiefs does not reflect the elegance and savoir-faire of my breed. And it does not shed a totally positive light on the store.

After all, Butchy wears the clothing his mom designs and makes. He has jumpers and shirts, even Hawaiian shirts, and when he wears a neckerchief. It is DIGNIFIED. Not goofy like the ones that muzzzer brings home.

So last week on her day off muzzer went waaaay into the back of Dad's closet and she found me some lovely foulard bow ties. She said Dad went through a "bow tie period" and these have not seen the light of day since then. Muzzer said maybe I am more of a bow tie kind of guy than dad is, and anyway, she thought it would make me handsome!

So today we decided to try out my new wardrobe. Muzzer had a bit of difficulty remembering how to tie one of these, but it seemed quite simple to me. All you really have to do is sit still!

Anyway, I think it turned out quite well.

We tried turning it several different ways. Under my chin, but no one could really see it that well. It might work well for humans, but not for terriers.

Then we pulled it all the way around to the back, like it shows in this picture. I thought that was better, but not entirely satisfactory. For example, you don't really get the full effect unless I am walking away from you, or laying at your feet.

We pulled it under one ear, and then the other. Muzzer and I agreed that this is the most flattering, and quite practical. Here is a profile view from my better side. I think it is quite dashing!

Finally, here is a view of me at the front door of the store. I am diligently doing my job as greeter, and enjoying the sunshine. The opinion of our customers today was unanimous. Everyone had a very positive opinion of my new "look!" Of course, I was on my most exemplary behavior, scored several snausages and a jumbone from one of my fans. Work is hard, but there are a number of rewards and perks.

Teka and I are excited about dinner. We are having salmon and asparagus! Muzzer fixed a special meal for Teka's dinner since tomorrow is her big day! And she does not get any food after 7:30 pm tonight. Bummer. Guess it is a good thing Gus went to work today and had his share of snacks.

Updates tomorrow as soon as I am able. Regards to all. Must go decide which tie I am wearing on Wednesday!



ps: To E.Rabbit and Dad. I am not giving up my St. Louis Cardinal neckerchief. It is still my favorite!

7 comments:

Joe Stains said...

you look absolutely SMASHING in that bow tie! It makes me jealous. If mom brings me to your Mom's store do you think she has something dignified I can wear???

Wired for Mackie said...

Gussie, You lok so handsome in your bow tie! Now I know what I'd look like in a bow tie!!! hehheheh!
You are a good guinnea pig for me. Maybe you should wear a cowboy hat next time so I can see what I'd look like as a cowboy! heheheh!


Your pal , Mackie an brothers

Wimsey said...

Hello Gus, I must say, that tie is quite dashing. It's such a pleasure to see a well-dressed canine. Too often we are relegated to something the humans find "cute" and we find appalling!

Wimsey

Molly the Airedale said...

You look so handsome in your bowtie and red is definitely your color!

Love ya lots,
Maggie

Anonymous said...

wow .......looking nice there.......a bow!!!

E. Rabbit said...

You look magnificent, Gus. Well done.

wally said...

Oh man, that bow tie is awesome! I bet you brought in tons of customers at your store. YOu deserve a raise!

wally.